Creating a website or blog used to be a big challenging task in the past, especially if you weren’t a tech-savvy person.
Hey, don’t worry! WordPress has changed this process completely today. You can easily learn “How to build WordPress Website from Scratch.”
Due to advanced options available in WordPress, starting a website has become extremely easy even for non-tech savvy users. Basically, if you know how to read and click with your mouse, then you can create a website in less than 60 minutes.
Feeling relaxed! Good.
Table of Contents
Why should you learn “How To Build WordPress Website From Scratch”?
- You will save money on website design & development.
- You will not be dependent on programmers and developer for changing or updating your website.
Why WordPress is the Best Platform to Build Your website?
- WordPress is the most powerful and widely used website platform in the world.
- It is used by over 30% of ALL websites (millions) and it also has a wide range of “add ons” known as plugins that you can use extend the functionality of your website.
- It’s SEO friendly and newbie friendly. It’s the ultimate DIY solution for website building
- It’s free and secure.
‘WordPress.org’ & ‘WordPress.com’ are Different!
Many people have confusion for WordPress.org & WordPress.com. These two are Different.
The “WordPress” discussed in this article is the software which can be installed from WordPress.org.
There is also “WordPress.com which is a commercial service platform.
For now let’s just remember that what we want is at WordPress.org.
7 Action Steps To Build Your Website
Step 1: Choose The Best Domain Name For Your Blog & Register It
A domain name is your website’s address on the internet. This is what your users will type in their browsers to visit your blog.
If you haven’t chosen a domain name yet, click here to read “How To Choose The Best Domain Name For Your Business & Blog.”
Having a good domain name will take you places, and it will end up becoming a valuable brand of its own.
Now you must register your domain name. It will cost you$8 to $15 per year (Rs.600 to Rs.1200 per year).
If you purchase hosting through Bluehost, you will get a free domain and that is a decent amount of saving.
Step 2: Sign Up For A Website Hosting
Blog hosting is going to be your very first investment and one of the most important investments you can make into your blog.
Your hosting provider is the company that basically takes your blog “online” so that it is visible to the rest of the world.
There are a lot of different blog hosting companies out there, but we recommend Bluehost.
It’s less expensive than the other companies and for better service, in my opinion.
You can start for as low as $2.75/month Bluehost. That price is a special deal we got for our subscribers and is only available through our link!
You can sign up for a 12 to 36-month plan. This offer is for limited time. So, it is better to go for long duration plan.
BUT other hosting companies that allow you to pay on a monthly plan generally charge $11.99+/month. That’s 4x the cost and WAY more expensive over time.
If you purchase through Bluehost, you will get a free domain and that is a decent amount of saving.
And remember that this is the first investment you are making into your blog. It represents the commitment you’re making to your new business.
The best part, Bluehost will auto-install WordPress software for you.
Click here to get Bluehost hosting + free domain now!
Step 3: Install WordPress
You can find icon to install WordPress on your hosting account dashboard (cPanel). You can ask about it to your hosting provider.
If you have signed up to Bluehost, you can ask them to install WordPress for you. It’s free service with Bluehost.
Step 4: Select a Theme Suitable for Your Website
The great thing about WordPress is that it works with interchangeable designs – called themes. Meaning,
A WordPress theme is a collection of templates and designs that are used to create website. With the help of these themes you can switch the way your WordPress website looks with just clicks.
There are free and paid WordPress themes. You can choose themes according to your taste and business type.
- First login to your WP-ADMIN dashboard. You can login with URL”https://yourdomain.com/wp-login.php. After you login, you will see your WordPress administration dashboard for your website (see below). This may look completely foreign to you if you have never logged into a WordPress website before. But don’t worry, you will get familiar with it very soon.
- Open Appearances > Themes: In left sided menu first click the appearance then click themes.
- Click on the “Add New” button on the top. And choose from one of the themes displayed or search for a specific theme.
- Install the theme which you like and activate it.
- Now you have to customize the You can access this under from Appearance > Customize. You can do several things to your site’s appearance from here.
Step 5: Install Must-have Plugins
WordPress has a wide range of “add ons” known as plugins that you can use extend the functionality of your website. Plugins help get some great features without knowing any coding.
Here are names some useful and free plugins you should consider getting:
- Yoast SEO: It helps your website be more accessible to the search engines in general.
- Google Analytics for WordPress: This integrates your website with the most popular traffic analysis solution on the web.
- UpdraftPlus: It is useful for automatic backups of your website.
You can add some more plugins according to your need
Go to your WordPress dashboard and then to Plugins → Add New. From there, input the name of the plugin that you want into the search field, and then click on “Install” and “Activate.”
Step 6: Create Basic Pages
There are some pages that all websites should have, regardless of their purpose or goal.
First you must learn “how to create a page”.
To do that, simply go to your WordPress dashboard, and then Pages → Add New.
You will find the different places as given below:
- Heading section: A place for the headline of the page.
- The body section – the main content of the page. The interface is similar to MS Word. You get all the basic text formatting features (like bold, italics, aligning text to left/right/center, creating lists, etc.).
- The Publish section. This is where the main Publish button is.
- Featured image section: Most WordPress themes take that featured image and display it somewhere in a prominent spot alongside your page.
When you’re done editing the page’s content, click on “Publish.”
Here are the names of pages you should consider creating:
- About: Here you get to tell the story of what your website is and why people should pay attention.
- Contact: This is where you can display some contact info along with a nice contact form, through which people can reach you directly.
Step 7: Write And Publish Your First Blog Post.
A blog post is among the most effective ways to promote not only your website but also any products that you want to sell through your blog.
To create a new blog post, all you need to do is go to Posts → Add New (from your WordPress dashboard).
The process itself of creating a blog post works nearly the same as creating a new page. The editing panel looks nearly the same, and the options are mostly the same as well.
One of the few differences is that you can also assign your posts to categories and tags.
Once you’re done working on a blog post, click on “Publish.”
That’s it! You have just learned how to build WordPress website from scratch.
The best thing about the process presented here is that you can do it all by yourself and don’t have to hire anyone. Creating a website with WordPress as your platform is the newbie friendly method.
I hope this article will help you get started. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask me in the comments section below.
Click here to get my free course. In this free course, you will understand everything in greater depth and length to create your blog around your passion.
If you find this article informative, do share it with your friends!
How to find profitable niche
Sir, how much does it cost?
Click the below link to read the article:
Very useful and practical. Thanks a lot.